OSMC’s October update is here. These changes come in light, as Kodi Jarvis (v16) is very stable as it nears its end of its life. We have been working on preparing OSMC for Kodi Krypton (v17) and test builds are now available. We will continue to update them.
We have also been working on a new version of the OSMC skin which will be compatible with the upcoming Kodi release. We’ve taken a lot of community feedback on board and updated the skin.
Here’s what’s new:
- Fix for ‘Dirty COW’ exploit (CVE: CVE-2016-5195) privilege escalation vulnerability
- Fix for potential security vulnerability in splash screen package
- Fix a build system bug that prevented kernel header packages for some kernel releases from being available in the APT repository
- Ensure that VideoCore tools are available under the default path when the user is using an elevated shell
Improving the user experience
- Improved support for iqAudio boards on Raspberry Pi
- Improved playback performance for very high bitrate streams on Vero 2
- Improved WiFi adapter performance for RTL8192CU based devices
- Add out of the box support for the internal WiFi adapter on Apple TV
- Add support for adjusting the backlight of the official Raspberry Pi Display
- Enable maximum USB current output on compatible Raspberry Pi devices by default
- Updated SQLite package for improved local library performance in Kodi
- Improved HEVC playback performance for Raspberry Pi
- Prevent command line users from running the
apt-get upgradecommand which will cause problems with OSMC. Users should run
apt-get dist-upgradeas recommended on the Wiki instead.
- Updated Raspberry Pi kernel to 4.4.27
- Updated Vero 2 kernel to 3.10.104
- Add support for specifying multiple Device Tree overlays in
preseed.cfgfor users building their own preconfigured images
- Add support for ALSA for on-board DAC to be disabled via
preseed.cfgfor users building their own images
To get the latest and greatest version of OSMC, simply head to My OSMC -> Updater and check for updates manually on your exising OSMC set up. Of course — if you have updates scheduled automatically you should receive an update notification shortly.
You may also wish to check out our store, which offers a wide variety of high quality products which will help you get the best of OSMC.